What does a gameplay programmer do?
Gameplay programmers write the code for the interactions that make a game fun to play. While lead designers decide on the combat, gameplay programmers make it happen.
They work with level designers to see what needs to be done to make the gameplay work. They write the rules that govern what objects do and pay attention to balancing and tuning of the way the game plays. They also fix bugs and optimise the game for playing.
What is a gameplay programmer good at?
- Programming: be highly proficient in programming, finesse levels and seamlessly integrate scripts
- Knowledge of gameplay: imagine the best gameplay or game mechanics for the experience
- Knowledge of game engines: understand games engines and their abilities and limitations
- Collaboration: work closely with the lead designer, gameplay programmer, AI programmer, art department and other programmers
- Communication: work with the team, establish and document best practices for scripting and delivery of assets