What does an engine programmer do?
Engine programmers develop the game engine from which the game runs. They create new functionality in the engine and rewrite the existing systems to make them as efficient as possible. When a new game is being devised, the engine programmer will figure out how to create the best engine for that particular game. They also fix bugs and deal with any technical glitches along the way.
What is an engine programmer good at?
- Maths: be skilled in calculus, algebra, and statistical theory
- Knowledge of games engines and platforms: understand graphic integration, collision detection, data transformation, database management
- Programming: be skilled in programming for the central processing unit (CPU) core
- Innovation: spot problems with the game engine and finding solutions
- Communication: listen to the people working on the game, understand their problems, share the solutions and write technology documentation